Special Educational Needs
Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator – Mrs L Stanton
“Inclusion is about all learners and about taking action to remove barriers to participation and learning.” Edith Cavell Primary School is a fully inclusive maintained Primary School where children experience an extensive curriculum and where children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are taught alongside their peers and are encouraged to make the best possible progress in all areas of school life.
At Edith Cavell Primary School the staff, governors and parents are fully committed to providing a happy, ambitious and stimulating environment, one that is “ambitious, achieving and nurturing” for all.
All learners are nurtured to achieve their full potential and develop a love and enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
We are fully supported by the LA with this vision to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific learning needs and capabilities, are supported to be as inclusive and independent as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being considered carefully and of paramount importance.
The four SEND ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.
What is the Local Offer? The LA Local Offer
The Children and Families Bill will become enacted from September 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) aged 0-25 within their care. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area on offer to them.
The LA’s Local Offer can be accessed here: https://sendguide.bedford.gov.uk/
The School SEND Information Report
This utilizes the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet (See Inclusion Policy).
Your Child has Special Educational Needs. What can we at Edith Cavell Primary School offer you in terms of nurturing and inclusive support?
At Edith Cavell Primary School, we embrace high expectations within a progressive, stimulating and enriching curriculum to ensure that all learners are safe, valued and diversity is celebrated. Therefore Learning is Fun!
Please click on the 13 questions below for more information about the Local Offer from Edith Cavell Primary School and how we can work together to fully support your child:
- Who are the best people to speak to, in this school, about my child’s difficulty with learning/Special Educational Needs or Disability(SEND)?
- What are the different types of support available for children with SEND?
- How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
- How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child?
- How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?
- Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?
- How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do teachers have?
- How will the teaching be adapted for children with SEND?
- How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
- What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?
- How is Edith Cavell Primary School accessible to children with SEND?
- How will we support your child when they are joining our school? Leaving or moving on to another class?
- How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?